Thursday, September 29, 2011

Give Your Story Some Attitude

Now, hold up a sec. When I mean give your story some attitude, I don't necessarily mean that I want your story to have a BAD attitude. However, it does need somewhat of a mood. The mood lets your reader make an emotional connection, otherwise your story is kind of BLAH.
: (
One quick way to set the mood (sometimes called tone) is to use similes. Similes use "like" or "as" to compare two things.

Let's try to make up some using this picture.


First, let me hear you go, "Awwww." This is my bunny and yes, he is adorable.

Back to similes...
I'll start.
That bunny is as soft as a pillow.
The girl thinks the bunny is like a cuddly toy.
The bunny stood at attention like a soldier when Annie came to his cage.
The bunny acted as if he were a prisoner longing for freedom.

What similes come to your mind?


No comments:

Post a Comment