Thursday, April 14, 2011

The Nitty Gritty on Numbers

He has five homework assignments due tomorrow.
OR
He has 5 homework assignments due tomorrow.

Which one? HELP!

GrammarBook.com - The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation - Jane StrausWriting numbers can be confusing. I found this terrific resource: GrammarBook.com. I love the way Jane Straus, author of THE BLUE BOOK OF GRAMMAR AND PUNCTUATION, breaks down writing numbers into 16 easy rules.Thanks, Ms. Straus!

Rule 5 is my favorite. I see this rule broken a thousand times!

Review the rules posted under the GrammarBook.com link above, then take this quick test:
My four dogs ate with their 13 cats. RIGHT OR WRONG?
Recess will be at 3:00. RIGHT OR WRONG?
Two thirds of the class received twenty two candy bars. (HA! You wish!) RIGHT OR WRONG?

No comments:

Post a Comment